After eyelid surgery
If there is a massive, rapidly increasing and very painful swelling of the eyelids during the first 24 hours after the operation and / or if visibility is impaired, call us immediately. It could be that a blood vessel continues to bleed after the wound closure and the blood exerts a strong pressure in the eye socket, which is extremely rare.
The first 48 hours
- After surgery, the eyelids will swell. The swelling is strongest on the second day after surgery and then slowly decreases. Frequently apply a cooling face mask for the first 48 hours to minimize swelling.
The first 2 weeks
- The sutures are removed after 6–7 days. Until then use only medically prescribed ointments. Please do not use creams or make-up.
- After the removal of the suture, there’s a 3-day ointment and crème ban. From the tenth day, you can apply scar cream once a day.
- The eyelids can be gently blotted with mineral water and cotton pads. Encrustation and excretion of aqueous secretions are normal.
- Itchy eyelids are normal and are a manifestation of the healing process.
- Important: Do not use Aspirin to relieve pain after surgery as it may thin the blood and cause bleeding. Ponstan or Dafalgan can be taken, however.
- “Itching, scratchy eyes”. After every kind of eyelid surgery, the tear film is disturbed for weeks. This can lead to increased lacrimation and burning, biting eyes sensations. Moisturizing drops and gels help with these temporary ailments.
- “Black and blue” eyes: Bruises of the lower eyelids and upper eyelids occur especially in smokers and elderly on. They usually fade within 10–14 days.
What happens next
- Upper eyelids: it’s possible that the eyelid suture lies exactly in the eyelids and is usually visible after 14 days, but only on the outer edge.
- Your eyelids may appear a little smaller, mainly due to the swelling. However, after a few weeks this will return to normal.
- If you have an unusually strong wound healing, then the scar may remain clearly visible. Scarring tends to be more pronounced in dark-skinned people than in pigment-poor people.
- The outer lid angle remains somewhat sensitive to pressure for months. This is because there are so many nerves here.
- Skin grafting: If a skin graft is needed during special operations, the graft may eventually have a different tint to surrounding tissue.
Time off work after eyelid surgery
- In the case of minor interventions, you should not go to work for about 1-2 days, for cosmetic procedures, this usually rises to 1 week, and for large eyelid reconstructions up to 2 weeks.